Suggestions for a CCW Pistol

This section is for gathering around and having random discussions. You can discuss anything here as long as it does not violate our rules or be seen as spam. If you spam our forums you may be suspended/banned without warning.
Scrag
E-4 Corporal
E-4 Corporal

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello, Sirs!

Seeing as we all are of the same mindset, if not only for our shared love of Arma, I felt this would be as good a place as any to get some input and feedback on my current dilemma.

I'm preparing to go down the path of acquiring a CCW permit in my home state of... (don't hate me)... California.

:gulp:

NOTE: Please refrain from the snide, obligatory comments about the state's gun laws- I've heard them all before. I do not like them and I condemn their moronic nature until I am blue in the face. However, I've come to accept them and I'm accountable for the suffering that comes from dealing with them and living here. That aside, let's return to the question at hand...

I am looking for a good CCW pistol candidate with the following criteria:
  • California compliant.
  • Is a semi-automatic pistol.
  • Is chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP.
  • Is not a Glock.
  • If .45, I don't want it to look like a 1911... or even a small 1911.
  • 3" - 4" Barrel preferred
  • Cost cap is about $1000, but lower is better... the lower, the better.
If I can think of more factors, I'll update this list. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.
- On The Boards as: Scrag
- In The Game as: Ragepriest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

manOwar
O-10 General
O-10 General

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:45 am

I like the SIG Sauer 9mm, 10mm, and .45 cal series of pistols. I can typically pick them up in MI or OH for under your budget.
As far as CA legal I'm pretty sure the SIG P220 (8rnd standard and 10rd extended mag) is legal in your state although it may stretch your budget based on the retail of around $1200 USD. I would call a small arms dealer in your area and visit them. Have some conversations about what you're looking for and look at what they have in stock, hold it and see how it feels to you.

Another thing to note is many guns "illegal" in CA may still be available to purchase with the reduced ammo magazines. I have a P226 that is standard with 15rd magazine and when I'm target shooting I like to take 30rd clips. I also lived in CA for about 10 years and bought a few 10rd clips for my pistol and had no problems. I enjoyed shooting with friends in the desert and had several encounters with Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert and Palm Springs police while shooting and never had any issues with my P226 which was NOT available for purchase at the time in CA. (just had my 10rd magazines and they would run all of my weapons serial numbers and then go about their business.)

See a local supplier, find out what they recommend and then buy something you're going to enjoy!
Have fun with shopping and good luck on your CCW sir!
"an imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan"
Hellfire
E-8 First Sergeant
E-8 First Sergeant
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:58 am

I conceal a Sig P938 and my wife has the P238. Its quite small and fits in my waist band completely unnoticed. I want to upgrade to the M18 next time I'm home.